Monday 23 December 2019

Bear Paw baby quilt


Another Bear Paw, I really enjoy making this block so much!  This baby quilt was for a Uni friend who had a baby girl during the summer.  I had lots of this gorgeous elephant fabric which I used to make curtains for my son's nursery previously and I thought my friend would really like it.  It's an organic cotton, I think Birch fabrics, I got from M is for Make way back in 2013/2014.  I think I've had the orange Atelier Brunette, also bought from M is for Make, almost as long.  When I put them together I thought it would work but I had a moment of doubt while making it.  Thankfully it worked out well and they match perfectly I say!

 My son makes a perfect quilt model helper doesn't he?! After making the Bear Paw cushion I knew I wanted this baby quilt to be one giant bear paw block.  I had a wee look online and found the brilliant Scrappy Bear Paw baby quilt tutorial from Jeni Baker of In Color Order.  I already followed Jeni on instagram and admired her quilt patterns but hadn't seen this tutorial before.  The instructions include cutting measurements for a version from scraps or from yardage. I only just had enough of the orange but luckily had enough of the elephants that I could back it with that too.
The quilting is just a simple grid quilt pattern which I think looks really good with this block.  The batting is the Quilter's Dream orient quilt batting, bought from Cotton Patch.  The quilting is done with Aurifil 50wt thread.  I was in such a rush to get on with this quilt that I completely forgot to square off the half square triangles! So if you look closely you can see the points aren't all the same, I also somehow managed to attach some of them the wrong way round.  In spite of that I still love how this turned out and the recipient seemed really happy with it too!


No comments:

Post a Comment