Thursday 19 September 2019

Modern fans quilt

You'd think I hadn't been sewing given that my last post here was in June! I haven't finished many projects but I have been sewing over the summer, quite a lot of EPP work on my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt as well as a drawstring bag for toys for our holiday. The last big project I finished was this gorgeous quilt made using Suzy Quilts Modern Fans quilt pattern.
I bought this pattern for the sew-along which Suzy Quilts hosted but then of course didn't get round to it at the time. Plus I couldn't really have posted about this on Instagram during the sew-along as I was sewing it as a surprise for a friend's new baby!

The starting point for this was the Moda Yucatan fabric with the cactus. I bought it from M is for Make last summer and had been saving it.  When I saw this pattern I thought it would be perfect.  The gorgeous limey yellow colour is Cirrus solids in Sprout, also from M is for Make. I've had the green and pink fabrics for ages and they worked well with it.  The blue is a Cotton and Steel fabric but I can't remember which one.  The backing fabric is from the Wonderland range of fabrics by Rifle Paper Co. and is the most beautiful quality fabric with so many lovely details in the illustrations.
I was a bit apprehensive about all the curves but Suzy's tutorial is so good I needn't have worried.  I also found using my walking foot helped, both to keep everything together and also because I don't have a 1/4" foot so the walking foot is the only 1/4" measure I have. It definitely meant this piecing was more accurate so I'm using my walking foot for piecing all the time now.  I enjoyed the piecing on this one as it was a bit more involved than the last few quilts I've made.

I did my usual binding method, machine sewing to the front then hand sewing it to the back.  The quilt pattern is just a simple grid and I'm really pleased with how it looks with the curves. I really love the colours in this and think I'll need to buy some more of the Cirrus solids in Sprout, in fact the quality of the Cloud 9 Cirrus solids is lovely and looks a bit linen-like.

My next plan for this quilt pattern is to make a cushion for our house and I'm sure I'll use it to make a quilt again in the future.  Right now though I'm starting to think about Christmas sewing, anyone else?!



2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! As always the colors go together so well. You have a terrific eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I was really pleased with the colours in this one too though I must admit I was a bit unsure when I started it!

      Delete