Wednesday 8 September 2021

Half square triangles

I've got a few quilts finished this year that I haven't shared yet so I'm going to start with this half square triangle baby quilt.  


I had this fat quarter of the Cotton and Steel tigers and another fat quarter of the Art Gallery Fabrics moons.  I really wanted to use them in a baby quilt so I decided a simple HST quilt was the answer.  This is made in the same way as the monochrome quilt I made in 2020.  It's just lots of 9.5" squares of fabric which are then sewn up into half-square triangles.  The longest bit is always deciding on the placement!  I think this has turned out really well and I love the colours and fabrics together.  

I couldn't decide what colour to bind it with and when I asked for opinions in our London Modern Quilt Guild group a few people suggested a lime green. Luckily i had leftovers of this Robert Kaufman Brussel linen in pickle. The lime green was such a good idea and it really works with the other colours. I absolutely love this shade of green, and the texture of this fabric. I'm tempted to get more but am really trying to use up fabrics I have rather than add more! 



You can see the last scraps of the printed fabrics on the reverse of the quilt, along with the very last of the green linen.  I had good fun piecing together all the bits for the quilt back, I like being restricted by the amount of fabric and trying to make it work.

There's not much else to say about it really, there's a good tutorial here for making a simple half square triangle unit.  I really like making half square triangles and it's always fun playing about with the placement.  



No comments:

Post a Comment