Thursday, 3 November 2016

Brumby #2

This post has been sitting written in my drafts folder for over a month. I kept waiting to get better photos of this skirt but I waited so long it's now winter and, as I won't wear this again till the spring, I'm just going to post with the photos I have. I hope you can still see what a gorgeous skirt it is even though I've got no decent close-up images.
Also, this must be a recent record - two makes in a row that aren't pink! It is a repeat pattern though, what you could also called a Tried and True pattern for me, the Megan Nielsen Brumby. I just can't help myself, I love this pattern so much!  This version has fast become a wardrobe staple too and, because I've lined it, I'm sure it will continue to get worn through the autumn/winter as well (EDIT - I've decided I don't really like to wear full skirts like this with tights so chances are I won't wear my Brumby's again till spring).  It is so satisfying to add pieces to my wardrobe that get worn so much so quickly and I am ever so pleased with both my new Brumby's (see my other one here)!

Once I'd sewn up the skirt pieces and got ready to gather it I realised it was much more sheer than I had initially thought so decided I better line it.  Luckily I had enough of the same fabric to line it with as I didn't have anything else suitable.  After some consultation on Instagram I decided to go with advice to gather skirt and lining together to reduce bulk, and ensure the gathers were in the same place.  This all went so smoothly, except that for some reason I never overlocked the seams on the lining (this fabric frays so much!) so of course after a few wears they were coming apart. I had to do some repair work with a tiny zigzag stitch and an overlock stitch and hopefully that's it saved now.  It is so nice to make a pattern up more than once - it is a good way of building sewing confidence and trying out little changes. With this version I decided to have a go at the exposed zip. I used the tutorial on Megan Nielsen's website but had a bit of trouble with the length and ended up with a wee hole at the bottom of the zip, which I darned over. Asides from that I also find that the exposed zip doesn't stay closed at the top so at present have a hidden safety pin at the back which I really should replace with a hook and eye. I'm not sure why it doesn't stay shut, it could be because my zip doesn't quite go to the top, or that the zip is too heavy for the fabric, or that I used a second hand zip that might be a bit faulty? Who knows, who cares?! No one else will notice but me and the safety pin works fine for now.

Details -
Size: S. This time I cut a size S all over, used the recommended 1.5cm seam allowances, except when joining front & back waistband, where I used 1cm. One thing I'd say about the size, it is a very fitted waistband. It sits quite high up so you really are measuring your actual waist as opposed to where a lot of modern trousers and skirts would sit. I always found this quite confusing when I started sewing as it means your waist measurement is usually less than what you would think going by the size of jeans you might normally buy. I think this is why I went with the size M when I made my first version and although I like where it sits I think the intended higher waist position of my second and third versions are much more flattering.
Fabric & notions: This purple fabric has been sitting in my stash so long that I have no idea where it came from or when I got it.  There was about 2 metres and it's quite silky to the touch - maybe a rayon or a cotton/rayon blend? I have no idea really. I wasn't too mad about this shade of purple up close to my face so I vetoed my early plans to make a dress from this and decided a skirt would get more wear anyway.  The pocket fabric is the same as I used for the pockets on my first pair of Burda pleated shorts, possibly a Rayon, a remnant also bought years ago from Ray Stitch.  I used a lovely golden yellow metal zip I picked up in a charity shop for 25p (I bought a bunch of them!) and I bought purple thread.

Close-up of pocket - you can see the nice pocket lining fabric here too.

Were the instructions clear
: Yes. When making my first Brumby I thought the waistband instructions should have been clearer re which end is top and bottom.  However looking at it now I can see it's fairly obvious as it's a contoured waistband so it's narrower at the top than the bottom.
Any changes I'd make next time: I've already made this a third time and the only change I made was to do a centred zip rather than exposed.
Total cost: approx. £15/20 (I have no idea how much the fabric cost but I don't usually spend more than £10 a metre).

Sorry for the headless bathroom shot, but it does show the lovely big pockets and the flattering waistband.