I wanted to use low volume prints for the backgrounds, like in the quilts used in the stitchalong, but I didn't have many fabrics like that. Once again I ordered most of these from MisforMake and I think also some from Backstitch.
One of the things that I loved about the look of this quilt was the mix of machine stitching and handsewing. The hexie flowers each sit on a diamond. The hexie flowers are all hand-stitched using English Paper Piecing. There was the choice to attach them to the diamonds by machine or hand-sewing. I went for handsewing. Then I sewed all the diamonds together and added the borders by machine. I was thinking of handquilting it for a while but it had been in progress for such a long time that I just wanted to get it finished so I machine-quilted it. The quilting is just simple diagonal lines with Aurifil, I think it was 40wt.
The backing is a Liberty print I bought years ago with the intention of making it into a garment. Then I realised it's not really something I would wear so it languished in a box for a few years. I thought it would be perfect for this quilt of flowers. There wasn't quite enough so I cut it up a bit and added in some other scraps of fabric.