Saturday 28 March 2020

Cotton + Steel Bear Paw baby quilt


These are very scary and strange times we are living in right now and it's awful seeing the death and devastation which Covid-19 is causing.  I hesitated about posting about quilt making but sewing is what helps me when I'm anxious and stressed and seeing other people's creations never fails to make me feel a bit better so I thought I would continue to share what I'm making here.  I hope everyone who reads this is well and has a good support network around them, at all times not just in these current times.

I've got a few quilts to post about so I'm going to start with this one.  If this looks similar to my last quilt that's because it is the same pattern, the Scrappy Bear Paw Tutorial.  I think this colour combination might be one of my favourite ever in a quilt I've made.  It just works so well, especially with the gorgeous rich shades of these Cotton + Steel prints.  I made this for some friends who had a baby boy recently.  It didn't take me long to decide on these two fabrics and I was so pleased I had enough of both to make it.  The backing is a gorgeous double-gauze I've had for years, I think it came from MisforMake and I had just enough to make the backing come round as the binding for the front.


The last time I made this pattern I rushed it and forgot to square off the half-square triangles, resulting in some less than perfect points! This time round I really took my time to square everything off properly and I'm pleased with how all the points turned out.

My son helped me take the photos again, he's the perfect height for holding these baby quilts!  You can see the beautiful backing fabric below.  I used a simple grid quilting pattern which is very satisfying to sew, especially with the Hera marker to make the lines nice and straight.


Now I've made this twice it'll be a while before I make it again but I'm sure I will one day as it's such a great tutorial and the perfect size for a baby quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment