Wednesday 24 February 2021

First small project of 2021

2020 contained a lot of sewing of small projects - pencil cases, drawstring bags and cushions mostly - and 2021 has started the same way.  I wanted to make a bag to wrap a book for a friend's birthday.  This one used scraps from different quilting projects, including the same yellow I used in the sawtooth star quilt I just made, which was for this friend's son, so it's nice to include one of the same fabrics.  Sewing with scraps is so satisfying, I love working out how to fit the fabrics together and having the limitations of the size of the scraps is fun.  I used the WeeBrawBag pattern as a reminder on how to do the bit for the drawstring to go through, but the dimensions are based on the size of the book I wanted it to contain.  I used some scraps of batting and then the lining as the backing.  I made each panel then decided to try out some hand quilting for the first time.  I used a 12wt Aurifil thread for this and I love how it looks. 


I'm going to try some new bag and pouch patterns this year as I tend to stick to the canvas pencil pouch, WeeBrawBag, and the Summer Madras Tote Bag (free pattern).  All of which are great patterns, it's just time to challenge myself a bit with some different patterns. So, if anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice Kathryn, I love it when scraps get a second Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, me too! Sorry for the delayed reply.

      Delete