Thursday 25 April 2013

First Banksia and Me-Made-May 2013



This was my first time working with a Megan Nielson pattern and what a treat it was.  The pattern instructions were great, the top fitted me without any adjustments, and the sew-along was so comprehensive I didn’t get stuck once! I cut this out one afternoon and then made the whole thing up in one day - a record for me!  The placket is false (I was determined to make this in one day) and I covered the buttons myself to match.  I'm pleased with the top stitching I've done as I think it looks quite neat and I'm also pretty pleased with my collar.  Next time though I'll definitely reduce the collar size slightly as it's just a wee bit too big for my liking.

Close-up of my me-made Megan Nielson Banksia

Close-up of my me-made Megan Nielson Banksia

Costs:  pattern £15 including postage (I got it when Megan was offering a discount for the sew-along), material – organic cotton from Ray Stitch, this was a remnant I think about £8 for just over a metre, buttons, thread, bias tape etc. – once again I didn’t keep a note of these costs so all in probably an extra £5. So all in £28 roughly.  A bit more than I’d pay for a top but I will definitely get loads of use out of this. 

Problems/instructions: As I already mentioned I didn’t have any problems with this, the pattern instructions and sew-along were so easy to follow.  My only problem is that I chose white fabric, what was I thinking! After one day at work I had pen marks and food stains and then proceeded to add to this by cleaning the oven when I get home. So lesson learned – no more white clothes, or start wearing a bib/apron depending on situation!

I’ve already got jersey for my next version and after that I’d like to try two dress versions – one in jersey using the drop-waist tutorial by Holly, and another using an encased elastic waist like in this gorgeous dress Hazel made.
 
Photo of me wearing my new me-made Megan Nielson Banksia
I promise to try and improve my photos for Me-Made-May, and not take any more in the bathroom

Coming up – I still have another version of V1247 to post about, a jersey tunic top that only needs the second sleeve sewn on to be finished, and I’ve just done a toile for my first Colette Meringue.  I’d like to get these all finished as soon as possible as I’ll need them in order to take part in Me-Made-May 2013.
The past two years I’ve watched from the side-lines and loved seeing everyone’s creations, how they combine items, and basically getting so much inspiration from all these creative ladies.  So… 

'I, Kathryn Hannan of Kathryn’s Busy Town, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '13. I endeavour to wear one me-made or re-fashioned item of clothing or jewellery each day for the duration of May 2013'

I’ve included jewellery here as well, partly because I’m pretty sure I don’t have enough for every day otherwise, but also to try and encourage me to start making some jewellery again.

I do wear some of my me-made items regularly but then I don’t have that many items.  My challenge is going to be trying to keep up my sudden increased sewing productivity and to think carefully about what I make so that I only make things I know I will love.  Of course I know there will be mistakes, plenty of them probably, but I want to think more about fabric choice, and not be afraid to adapt or mix patterns to try and make exactly what I’m looking for.  Another challenge for me will be trying to photograph myself wearing my me-mades.  I really don't like taking my photo and my camera still has a big greasy mark on it so I may be limited to the iphone at first.  I'll probably stick to posting my progress on my Flickr account with maybe weekly updates on my blog. I'm so excited for it to start now!

6 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that you are doing MMMay13! I love your Banksia. One in jersey will be great and oh yes, I am so desperate to do the drop waist one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty! The thing that's putting me off starting the jersey one if my fabric is striped and I've never tried matching stripes before but I'm going to have a go this weekend. I'm loving seeing all Holly's variations on the Kelly skirt now - makes me want to buy that pattern too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link love! And I adore your Banksia top, everyone needs the perfect white top to spill tomato sauce or something down! :) excited to see you MMM13 looks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I guess you're right! Thanks Hazel. I was planning on getting another banksia cut out today but the sun's come out now so maybe not!

      Delete
  3. It's such a pretty top. White is a good colour for coordinating with other separates, but it's a pity about the stains. Hopefully they come off in the wash. You're going to bring down the cost of your pattern when you make a dress from it. And the drop waist version is so cute!! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I'm going to have a go at handwashing tonight so fingers crossed|! I haven't made that much yet but I've already used the same patterns more than once - partly becuase of cost issues but also because it's great to get to know the pattern and gain more confidence in sewing it up and adapting it.

      Delete