Thursday 2 May 2013

Slow sewing

I was reading a post on a sewing blog recently (sorry I can’t remember which one, if you recognise the topic please let me know so I can credit your blog) where the writer was talking about how she felt she’d grown up with her sewing.  By this she meant taking her time, considering what she was sewing and why, and taking care with every step of the process rather than whipping up as many items as she could without really considering whether she’d wear them all or not.  I’m a slow sewer anyway (out of inexperience!) so I don’t really have the issue of whipping up loads of items but this really struck a chord with me for a few reasons which I thought it might be interesting to talk about a bit.

The tragedy in Bangladesh recently was truly shocking – I don't think anyone could pretend not to know about the terrible working conditions as it has been in the media for years – but the lack of care by the factory owners, and the amount of time it took companies like Primark and Matalan to issue a response has been quite disgusting.  The stories and photographs of the conditions that people were working in brought me to tears and the tragedy that had to happen for it to make front page news reminded me of the tragedy of the New York garment district fire in 1911 (which I wrote about previously) which did lead to labour reform.  Here’s hoping there are similar outcomes for Bangladesh.  

My reason for mentioning all this – asides from the obvious connection between what we wear and where it comes from – is how easy it is to be a part of the system, to block out the knowledge of the exploitation of people far across the globe in order that we can get jeans for £10 from Primark, or indeed £40 from Zara.  That’s where sewing comes in.  Sewing has made me really appreciate how much work goes in to the making of clothes.  The time it takes me to sew a garment, and the pleasure I get from doing this has completely dulled the appeal of impulse-buying from the high street.  That’s not to say I haven’t bought anything since starting sewing but compared to what I used to buy it’s a miniscule amount.  I am not naïve enough to think there’s no human cost involved in much of the fabric I buy but I don’t stockpile fabric in anywhere near the same quantities I used to with clothes.  What I love about sewing is that it has made me slow down, it’s made me think about the human and environmental costs of what we wear, and it continues to remind me how our actions are intrinsically linked to other people and places throughout the world.  What is also so great is how aware all sewing bloggers are of these issues, and how it informs the decisons they make - from the decision to begin to learn to sew through to what fabrics to buy, what to sew etc.

So for me slow sewing means two things – it means thoughtful living, and it also means exactly what is says, sewing more slowly.  I’m going to continue to take my time over what I make, and take more time to consider what I make, how often will I wear it, where did the fabric come from etc, and take the time to construct things properly so they last.  In that vein I have been working on a Colette Meringue.  I took the time to make a toile last weekend. On Tuesday night I drafted a pocket pattern and last night I cut out my fabric.  I finished cutting at 9.30 last night and considered jumping right in and starting sewing but then thought about it – I was tired, my back hurt and I doubt I’d have made a good job of it.  So I left it. It meant no new skirt to wear today as I’d originally planned but I know in the long run the extra care and attention will be worth it.  

 
Colette meringue - pieces cut out and toile made

So apologies for the rather long and over-worthy post but I've read quite a few really thoughtful posts recently about Bangladesh and the costs of fashion that I thought I would just add in my ramblings. Kathryn over at Yes I like that wrote a really good post about the Bangladesh fire and what can we do, and there are some really insightful comments too.

I hope everyone taking part in me Made May 2013 is enjoying it so far - I know I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's creations although I'm already struggling with remembering to take photos - will need to try and get one at lunchtime today!

6 comments:

  1. Very well said! I am taking this year to abstain from buying any new clothes...it is hard because I REALLY need some new jeans right now, and coming up with a pattern and sewing them is going to take much longer than going out and buying some! On the plus side I have some really cool colored stretch denim, and regular denim waiting to be made into jeans :) Anyway, what happened in Bangladesh really reinforced my commitment to making my own clothes, so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh very impressed by your committment - I did buy 2 pairs of jeans last year but this year instead of buying new I'm going to check out charity shops for things that could be altered - not feeling quite ready for sewing jeans yet! I look forward to seeing your makes!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this post, thank you for sharing your thoughts! I'm also somewhat of a slow sewer, especially now that I've been sewing for a couple of years and am seeing the projects I constructed thoughtfully stand the test of time. I think incremental changes (like being aware that you're purchasing fabric but consuming less) regarding consumerism/consumption are really important. I firmly believe that taking the time to make the best, longest-lasting project you can with the materials you have is sustainable and responsible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan. Your blog is one I love reading for inspiring and thoughtful posts so it means a lot for you to comment on this! You're right about incremental changes and it's also a surprise as before I started sewing I hadn't considered how much it would affect the way I think.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this post. Often I am guilt of being an impatient sewer but this is something I am trying hard to work with as the results are never satisfying. But more so, I am trying really hard to only buy fabric that I know that I will use.. I was guilt of rash purchases last year :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh me too, I bought way too much fabric in the past year and a half! That's what I was thinking from now on, only buy new fabric if it's for a specific project and try and work my way through what I've got already.

    ReplyDelete