Thursday 4 May 2017

Me-Made-May 2017 plans

How did it get to be May so quickly?!  In the sewing blogger/instagram world May means the return of Me Made May - a challenge established by Zoe of Sozowhatdoyouknow 'designed to encourage people who sew/knit/crochet/refashion/upcycle garments for themselves to wear and love them more.'
I tend to wear things I've made pretty much every day now so I wasn't sure about taking part this year as I always find it hard to get photos each day. However the photos aren't the main point (though they are a great source of inspiration!) so I decided I could still benefit from taking part if I set myself a new challenge.

Beginnings of my fabric record on Cora


So this is my challenge
I, Kathryn of kathrynsbusytown.blogspot.co.uk(kathryn_mhairi on instagram) sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '17. I endeavor to wear at least one me-made garment every day. I also endeavor to catalogue all the garment fabric I have in an attempt to sew with fabric I already own rather than buying more. I will also make myself a new summer dress without buying any new fabric to do so.
 
The first challenge I decided on is a bit of a busman's holiday really as I'm an archivist by trade but sadly my sewing materials, books, digital files etc are not nearly as organized as I am in work!  I remembered reading Helen's review of the Cora app for fabric management ages ago so I decided to check it out using the free version first.  Asides a glitch on the price section - due to me having my phone set to the wrong region - I really enjoyed using it.  Hélène, the developer of the app, was brilliant at helping me sort out why I couldn't get the £ sign in the price section and responded so quickly to my query that I decided to go ahead and purchase the full version.  You can add in as much or little information as you like including:
  • Photo
  • Category (knit, woven, other)
  • Weight (light, medium, heavy)
  • Content
  • Design
  • Colours
  • Length of fabric
  • Width of fabric
  • Cost
  • Source
  • and a notes section.
You can see below how many fabrics I've put in already and I love that you can organise them by price, length, fabric type, colour etc. I like the tool that allows you to export a PDF of all your fabrics which includes the photos and all the information you have inputted. There is also a great section called 'Fabric summary' which tells you how much fabric you have overall. Shockingly even just these 14 pieces of fabric is 26 metres worth.  I really hope having this tool will help me sew from my stash as it seems so wasteful to buy more fabric when I have so much already.

Does anyone else use Cora? Or have other ways of managing their fabric?

In relation to the second challenge to make a summer dress I've also recently discovered the joy of Instagram Collections and have started a sewing inspiration collection which, coupled with my newly catalogued fabric stash, should help me decide what to make. You can see part of my Sewing Inspiration collection below.  Has anyone else been using the collections in this way? Any tips?


4 comments:

  1. Ooh I didn't even know about instagram collections. I will have to check that out. I am not organized with my fabric either. I need to physically tag each piece in my stash with content, length and if it is pre-washed. Never enough time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I should have done from the beginning with my fabric - it's so time consuming trying to go back now and I never remember the fabric content.
      It's so handy to note if it's prewashed too - I'm sure I've washed some things multiple times as I can never remember!

      Delete
  2. Great pledge! And I'm glad my review came in handy for you. Looking forward to seeing what dress you come up with! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes I'm really enjoyed entering all my fabric on Cora. Still not sure what dress I'm going to make though!

      Delete