Monday 12 June 2017

Me Made May reflections and future sewing plans

It's almost the middle of June so it's time for my traditionally late Me Made May reflections .  I'd like to say a big thanks to Zoe for organising Me Made May again, it's such a brilliant concept and a wonderful community to be a part of. It was great seeing everyone's makes, and I enjoyed taking part even though I hardly took any photos.

My aims were to wear something I've made every day, catalogue my garment fabric and make a summer dress.  So how did I do? Well I wore something me-made every day except one, catalogued most of my garment fabric but didn't manage to make a summer dress.

Wearing something I've made every day wasn't really a challenge as I pretty much do that anyway, except I realised I've a bit of a gap in dresses, in that I haven't sewn any in a long time!  So I'd like to remedy that with a few work appropriate dresses that will also be suitable for winter, as well as hopefully making a summer dress.  Of course every year I say I'm going to make trousers and this year is no exception. Well except even I was fed up with my procrastinating and just went out and bought two pairs from H&M which I now wear loads so the pressure is off!


Marilla Walker Maya top with H&M bright orange trousers
There are lots of repeats in what I wore during May, both in me-mades and shop-bought clothes and I have to say I'm pleased with that - it shows that I make things I like to wear. However I do still have quite a lot of things I don't wear much/at all so maybe I need to think about a bit of a clear out of them.  my most worn me-mades were my 3 Deer & Doe plantain tops/dress and my 3 Megan Nielsen Brumby skirts which I could quite honestly wear all summer!  I also wore my Marilla Walker Maya top 3 times so I think it's time to make a second version of this as I can see the navy is getting a bit faded sadly.

By Hand London Victoria Blazer with H&M dress (for a job interview)

Sherbet Grainline Scout tee with H&M trousers and Hobbs cardigan

Pink Megan Nielsen Brumby with H&M t-shirt & Hobbs cardigan

Pink Megan Neilsen Brumby with H&M top.

Cataloguing my fabric. How have I done? So far I've catalogued almost all my garment sewing fabric, woven & knits, but not my quilting fabrics. For garment sewing then I have 54 pieces of fabric, totalling 80metres, yes that's right 80metres of fabric! It seems a bit obscene to me really so it's definitely helped me resist buying any more fabric. A quick look at Cora when I have an idea for something to sew and I can tell myself that I have quite enough fabric to choose from without buying more.



Now - on with the summer dress! I have a wedding in August and I'm hoping to get one made in time for that.  I've also just cut out another Vogue 1247 skirt in bright pink, have the fabric and a pattern for some wide-legged trousers, and plans for a few more plantains to replace some very worn looking t-shirts.  Did you take part in Me Made May this year, how did you get on?  What are your sewing plans for the next few months?

8 comments:

  1. You have some lovely makes Kathryn.
    Good luck with your dress for the August wedding luckily you have plenty of time to make something lovely with your generous amounts of stash fabric.
    I am too scared to actually document the amount I've got in 'the stash' and I'm sure it will be very close to (if not more) than 80 metres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yes I couldn't quite believe how much I had to be honest, a bit obscene really.

      Thank you. I'm just trying to decide on a pattern for the dress now.

      Delete
  2. I love that Maya top. I used to keep good track of my fabric stash but now I don't know how much I have. It really adds up, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry! I loved making the Maya top pattern, it's all French seams inside.
      I really couldn't believe how much fabric I have. I might never going o have enough time to sew with it all!

      Delete
  3. I have recently catalogued my stash, but on paper rather than electronically. I deliberately haven't added up how much I have. Don't think I want to know!! Love your brumby skirts, they are fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's right I remember you talking about that on instagram. Yes in one way I didn't know how much I have but at the same time it's brilliant realising how many potential fabric/pattern combinations I have, have you found the same?

      Delete
  4. Your outfits are all lovely! My favourite is the black and bright orange combination - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! it's a favourite of mine too!

      Delete