Wednesday 3 April 2019

Baby doll quilt



Baby quilt on top of my baby's quilt!

It used to be when I wanted a quick fix project I would make a t-shirt or a jumper. However I'm so out of practice with garment sewing though that if I want a quick project at the moment I'm better with a quilt-based one. My son has just happened to mention he would like his dolls to have a quilt on their bed like the one I'd made for him. So that was enough for me, I knew what to make next!



Back in 2014 I made a pair of curtains for his nursery from some gorgeous elephant print organic cotton from M is for Make.  When we moved house last year they didn't fit in his room anymore so I wanted to do something else with the fabric, this was the perfect project.  Then I remembered that in 2016 I had used some remnants to make my first Sawtooth stars using the brilliant Suzy Quilts tutorial.  I put 4 sawtooth stars together and was going to make them into a big cushion but never got round to it.  These formed the basis of the quilt.  Then I unpicked the stitching in the curtains, something I'd long been putting off doing!  As well as backing the quilt with it, I used some of the curtain fabric to make a wee mattress and a pillow - I know, overkill a bit, but I was having so much fun! Also my son enjoyed helping to stuff the pillow with wadding.


I added a quick border to the sawtooth stars then basted it together.  This is the smallest quilt I've ever made and it was very nice to get the basting done so quickly, and the quilting!  I went with a grid pattern on the quilting. Afterwards I realised I could have made it even quicker if I'd just carried the quilting on right to the edges but I decided to stop at the border so I then had to tie in all the ends. I was going to link to the tutorial that taught me how to tie in ends but I can't remember what it was! I made some doublefold bias binding out of the green fabric - is it weird that I love making bias binding and attaching it?! - and used the Purl Soho tutorial I aways use for attaching it.  I put a wee label in the quilt too and it's already getting a lot of love. In fact today he had it down in the living room to sit on when he was watching TV after school.  So now I've finished two quilts for our own home - both for my son. I need to get on with basting and quilting the two large quilts I've made for the living room next!  I've still got lots of the elephant fabric left - they were long curtains - so I'm sure it'll make its way into another quilt before too long.

'helping' me take quilt photos

No comments:

Post a Comment