Friday 26 April 2019

Pattern Review contest plans

This year I'm determined I'm going to get back into garment sewing and have more of a balance of quilts and clothes. not least because I could really use some new clothes! One of my favourite summer skirts has shrunk and has some stains that won't come out so I think it's going to become part of my next quilt (the non-stained parts of course!).  My two favourite summer dresses are, respectively, 15 years old and vintage (c1980s), so I would really love a new summer dress for this year. I'm also short on t-shirts and a summer jacket.  I am trying really hard not to buy anything new, unless I know who made it and that they were paid and treated fairly for doing so. This means that, along with scouring the charity shops, I hope to make some new clothes for this summer.

When I saw the Mini-Wardrobe contest on Pattern Review I thought it was the perfect starting point!  We're off to Amsterdam for a 4 day break at the end of May so the timing of this contest is perfect - hopefully I can have a nice wee capsule wardrobe ready to take with me.

The contest runs from April 15 - May 15 and the rule is to make a mini-wardrobe that will coordinate and work together, It has to be 5 garments, 3 tops and 2 bottoms and all tops must be able to be worn with each bottom.



These are my plans, all with fabric I already own. From top to bottom these are:
1. Peach/coral fabric from a charity shop. I'm not really sure what it is, maybe viscose, rayon. It's nice and soft and drapes well. This is going to be a Jily top by Ready To Sew but this time without the tie as I already have a pink one with a tie.
2. Turquoise jersey (Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified) from Ray Stitch.  I've just finished this up, it's the Crew neck tee from the Sew U Home Stretch book. I'll post a review soon.
3. Blue/pink striped cotton jersey from Saeeds in Walthamstow. This is also finished already, another Crew neck tee from the same book as above.
4. Rust coloured silk/linen blend from a market stall in Walthamstow. This is going to be the Freemantle trousers. The pattern is printed off and taped together and I hope to make a start on these this weekend.
5. Blue chambray cotton from the Village Haberdashery.  This is going to be another Megan Nielsen Brumby as I love this pattern. My purple version has shrunk and has stains (the skirt I mention at the beginning of this post) so I could do with another in rotation as I tend to wear my Brumby's most days in the summer!  However I am now wondering if I have enough of it to make this longer summer skirt, the Justine skirt from Ready to Sew

I have already sewn the two t-shirts and hopefully I can get started on the trousers this weekend. However we've had a fair bit of lovely weather recently which is throwing a bit of a spanner in the works as I'm so enjoying getting out in the garden and pottering around! This particular patch of wildflowers below is making me extremely happy!  The previous owners of our house really looked after the garden and it's lovely but it's all a bit neat and ordered for me so I'm hoping to make it a bit wilder with more colour and variety over the next few years!


patch of wildflowers in a garden

No comments:

Post a Comment