Wednesday 29 December 2021

Pescadero Crib Quilt for my newest nephew

A blue, yello and white triangle quilt is being held up by a child.  They are standing on grass, with a brick wall behind.  You can only see the child's feet poking out under the quilt.
Pescadero crib quilt

This is a very special quilt made for my new nephew.  I initially pulled these fabrics out with plans for another quilt but, when I saw them together, I knew they just had to be for a quilt for my nephew.  My aim was to make a quilt that was calm but at the same time I didn't want to make one just with whites or beige, I wanted it to be bright but not too busy.  The Pescadero pattern from Simple Geometric Quilting was just what I needed.  

I love the combination of the two different types of triangle, and the two shades of yellow.  The brighter yellow is a Kona cotton and the more golden shade is Makower linen texture in gold.  I can't remember what the white is.  The blue is gorgeous and soft, it's a Habitat duvet cover I bought for the sofa bed then didn't use. So far I've used it for the quilt back on my New Mexico Quilt as well as this quilt and I still have enough left to back a quilt I'm making for my son.  My son is so good at helping me hold up my quilts to photograph them! I won't lie, he does moan about it sometimes but then we always end up getting lots of silly photos with him poking his head over the top or out the side so he likes that.


A golder yellow and tiger print quilt is being held up by a child.  They are standing on grass, with a brick wall behind.  You can only see the child's feet poking out under the quilt.
Quilt backing

As you can see, the party is really on the back with this one too.  I used up almost all of this gorgeous Leah Duncan print, and bordered it with a bit of pink and more of the gold.  It's lovely and soft as it's filled with wool batting so hopefully, it will be cosy in the winter and cool in the summer.  I am so pleased with how this one turned out and sewed it with lots of love, thinking of my nephew in another country and hoping I would get to meet him soon.  I was lucky and we did get out to see my brother and his family in October, before Omicron!  I'm hopeful we'll get out again sometime in the early new year.  

This was my second make from Simple Geometric quilting and one of my aims in the new year is to try out some of the curve patterns in the book.  I made two quilts with curves way back when I started quilting but I haven't done one in a good few years and I've lost my nerve somehow.  Which is silly really so it's time to get over that in 2022 and get back to some curves!  

No comments:

Post a Comment