Thursday 30 December 2021

Sawtooth Star quilt

A pink, blue, rust and cream coloured quilt with a star pattern is being held up by a child.  They are standing on grass, in front of a large Camelia plant.
Sawtooth Star quilt

This is my last quilt finish for 2021.  I'm quite amazed I got it quilted in time to send it up as a Christmas present.  It was a gift to my parents-in-law and I'm happy to say that they both really like it.  My mother-in-law likes to sew as well, and knits us all wonderful gifts.  It's so nice to be able to chat to her about sewing when we're up in Scotland so I really wanted to make her a gift as I know how much she likes my quilts.  I picked colours that I thought they would both like. It's hard to see here, I should have taken some close-ups, but the cream fabric has little ginkgo leaves on it (you can see it here)

I used this tutorial for the Sawtooth Star blocks and then just winged it with the border, putting it together and then seeing if I felt it worked.  

An orange, green and white checked quilt bakc is being held up by a child. They are standing on grass in front of a large plant.
Backing of the Sawtooth star quilt


I've had the quilt pieced for quite a while but just couldn't decide how to quilt it.  After much deliberation, I just went for straight-line quilting.  The back fabric is a gorgeous IKEA tablecloth I got in a charity shop. It's 100% cotton and is slightly brushed so it's nice and soft.  the binding is a mix of the pink and terracotta fabrics. I really like the effect of binding that is not just one colour and need to remember to do this more often.

The batting is Hobbs heirloom 100% wool batting which is supposed to be washable.  I haven't tried washing it yet but I did ask my fellow members of the London Modern Quilting Guild for batting advice and quite a few had sued this and recommended it.  I do feel very lucky to be part of such a friendly guild, and to have a community of fellow makers for inspiration and advice!

2 comments: