Friday 20 April 2012

A month of letters - reflections

I've just realised I never posted about completing the Month of Letters challenge in February so here goes! I'm so glad I took part though I use the term 'taking part' loosely as February was such a busy month, including two weekends back in Scotland, a friend coming to stay for a few days, a few birthdays and an increasingly busy work schedule as I near the end of my current project. So, I had to admit I didn't really check back at the Month of Letters blog at all, but I did manage to write a letter or postcard 19 days out of a possible 25 and I'm really happy with that.

So to recap, the challenge was:

  1. In the month of February, mail at least one item through the post every day it runs. Write a postcard, a letter, send a picture, or a cutting from a newspaper, or a fabric swatch.
  2. Write back to everyone who writes to you. This can count as one of your mailed items.
I really enjoyed taking the time to write to people I don't see as often as I'd like - due to time, distance or both. I also just enjoyed taking time. Sitting in the morning and writing a postcard rather than automatically turning on my laptop and checking my e-mails whilst eating my breakfast.  Due to my love of stationery I have rather a large drawer full of postcards and paper for letter writing so it was nice to use some of my stash up, particularly as everything I've collected has memories attached to it.   Sending mail is something I've always enjoyed doing, and will continue to do.  I enjoyed having the challenge of trying to do it every day and although I haven't, and wouldn't want to, keep that up I did like the implications of slower communication as well. Taking time to concentrate on writing to friends and family as well as sending quick text messages/tweets etc was very satisfying.  These are all important forms of communication and I just hope that writing, and posting mail, continues to be one of these.

Below - a few of the postcards I sent during February.






No comments:

Post a Comment