Tuesday 22 January 2013

Dusty!

Check out the dust on that!

I've had this sewing machine for four years and this is the first time I've cleaned it - shameful isn't it?!
When I got back after new year I started sewing the baby blanket and immediately realised something was wrong by the strange noise my machine was making.  Something made me think that the fact I'd never cleaned it might be to blame so out came the sewing machine oil (ordered from Jaycotts ages ago) and off came the stitch plate (I just had to look that up in my sewing machine manual).  I don't know why I was so shocked by the amount of lint that had collected seeing as I'd never cleaned it but it did make me feel very sad for having made my machine work so hard in such poor conditions! Then I took out the bobbin case and the hook it connects to, gave them a good clean, cleaned inside with a cotton bud and then oiled the hook race (another new term!) and put it all back together again. It really felt like I'd done a good deed for my sewing machine, and for me of course.  I read somewhere last night that you should clean the bobbin case after every thread change but I don't think I'd remember this often. What does everyone else do? How often do you clean your machine? Is anyone as bad as my once in four years?!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I bet your machine feels like new again! :-) I've made a real effort with maintenance since getting my Bernina. The sewing machine mechanic at the local store I bought it from recommended cleaning (but not necessarily oiling) each time you sit down to sew, but since I do my sewing in short bursts I've modified that and try to make sure I do it at the beginning of each project. I also change needles then (although I try to get a little more use out of them and leave a needle on for the next toile I make, changing before the final garment). I'm hoping that my machine will live at least as long as I do so I figure I should make an effort and help it get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleaning at the start of a new project is a good idea. I have started changing my needle when I start something new - it's just trying to remember to keep up the good habits really isn't it?!

      Delete
  2. I'm not very confident about taking my machine to pieces but I had to do it once when there was a bit of a thread tangle going on under the plates (this would be the result of my inexperience!). I think I should be brave and give it a good clean before anything major happens. Thank you for the great visual reminder of what can accumulate over time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd have been brave enough to do it if I hadn't managed to help Inga put hers back together again!

      Delete