Monday 6 May 2013

'Lush life' Grainline tiny pocket tank

This is my second Grainline tiny pocket tank but my first successful one.  I cut the first one way too big and will need to have a go at rescuing it.  This one, though, this one is pretty much perfect in my eyes!

Wearing my new Grainline Tiny Pocket Tank

This post fulfils the aims of my slow sewing on two fronts.  It's made from a nightie/dress I picked up for £2 in a charity shop when I was visiting my brother in Abergavenny, Wales (lots of good charity shops there!) so no new fabric.  I also took my time sewing and followed all the steps recommended in Jen's tutorial including the French seams.  It was my first time doing French seams and I'll definitely be using them again as it was much easier than I thought and it looks so neat!

Close-up of French seams on my new Grainline Tiny Pocket Tank
showing off my neat French seams
There wasn't enough of the fabric to cut both front and back on the fold so I cut the back in two pices with a seam down the centre back.  I managed to match the fabric up pretty well, it's not perfect but the print is so busy I doubt anyone would notice.

However, on Saturday I had a blip on the slow-sewing front as well.  We were in Walthamstow for some flat viewings (trying to buy our first property at the moment) and of course I got tempted by one of the fabric shops, Saeeds.  They do some amazing jerseys and I just couldn't resist! I got a nice thick deep pink/purple that I'm going to make into a maxi skirt and a more delicate drapey navy that is going to be a shirt dress.  So.. in the spirit of slow sewing, and following Kirsty's example I'm going to go through my stash and choose 2 fabrics that I don't have any immediate plans for, or don't think I'd use, and do a wee give-away.  It's also a good reason to go through my fabric and see exactly what I've got. Hey if you haven't already you should go and check out Kirsty's give away!

John Coltrane's Lush Life was my sewing accompaniment over and over again whilst making this.  I realised the name fitted the floral fabric pretty well.

16 comments:

  1. What a glorious fabric Kathryn. It's still a bit cold for tank tops up here in Scotland. I have five layers on today including a cashmere jumper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is amazing isn't it - definitely going to be keeping my eye out for more charity shop finds that can be used for sewing!
      I've heard it'd still freezing in Scotland, I hope it warms up a bit soon!

      Delete
  2. Lovely! Your French seems look so neat. I'll have to give them I go I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! The French seams were way easier than I thought though when you're doing it it kind of seems like it won't work - definitely you should give it a go!

      Delete
  3. This is such a lovely little tank! That material is beautiful. What a great re-use of material. Your french seams look great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! I was really happy with the French seams, and pleased I gave it a chance and learnt a new technique.

      Delete
  4. Great thrifty make, the fabric is gorgeous and perfect for the pattern.

    I fell in love with French seams recently too, they are the beeest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I know, I can't belive I was so scared of French seams, I'll definitely be using them more now!

      Delete
  5. ooh this top is lovely! That fabric is really amazing, I love a good border print. Love your french seams, they're so neat and give such a nice finish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel! This was my first time using a border print and would love to use more!

      Delete
  6. This fabris is gorgeous, I totally thought it was a Nani Iro print at first! Turned out so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I was really lucky to find such nice fabric in a charity shop! I'm looking forward to getting your scout t-shirt pattern next month and giving it a try as well. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. I love this fabric! This top looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I really lucked out finding that fabric in a charity shop!

      Delete
  8. Can I reiterate how AMAZING that fabric placement is? Really gives the tank top a professional, rtw-made feel. It also mirrors the waviness and length of your hair. Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Claire! I'd really love to find more border print fabric like this as it'd be lovely on a skirt too.

      Delete