I'm really pleased with both pairs as I've definitely improved sewing in a straight line, finishing seams and I've learned how to sew a buttonhole using the buttonhole settings on my Bernina 1008. I finished the seams with a vari-overlock stitch and am so happy with how much neater these two pairs are. My final attempt, in the grey fabric, are definitely my favourite as I reduced the length from waist to crotch and they sit a lot better than the other pairs. However I just love the feel of the Liberty fabric of the blue pair so I know I'll get lots of wear out of both pairs. Copying the style of a pair of M&S PJ's I own I only put elastic in the back and used ribbon for the front. It was nice to feel confident enough to change the pattern as well! Even on the first pair I made I thought the fit was wrong but it wasn't until the third that I felt confident enough to go with my instincts and cut different to the pattern!
So, I think for the next wee while at least, 3 is the magic number! I'm going to try some basic patterns, such as a pencil skirt, kimono style t-shirt, a dress, three times each - improving my basic skills and my confidence each time.
P.S. I forgot to say where the fabrics are from - the original pair of stripey pyjamas are made with really cheap fabric from Goldhawk Road, a coupe of pounds a metre; the blue fabric is Liberty from their recent sale I think it was reduced to about £9 for a metre remnant; and the grey pair are made from an old pillowcase.