Sunday 8 May 2011

First steps on my me-made top

Walking down to John Lewis today (on my way to buy iron-on interfacing) I was imagining coming home, making dinner, then getting my top made tonight. Well, I did make dinner - a tomato & mozzarella salad followed by pasta peperonata (a Jamie Oliver special which works every time) - a very successful Sunday meal with minimal time required - perfect!

My tasty tomato and mozzarella salad

Then I decided to get started on the top.  I had cut out the fabric pieces on Thursday night with very blunt fabric scissors - I'm sure that's a big no-no but I just couldn't wait to get started!  So when I was at John Lewis I treated myself to a new pair and it's a revelation as I bought left-handed scissors.  I had never realised what a difference it would make, especially when cutting fabric. 

The pattern says to use tailor tacks for all the markings.  The Reader's Digest 'new Complete Guide to Sewing' (thank you Camden library) has been pretty useful but I couldn't make sense of the instructions for doing tailor tacks no matter how many times I read them. So I turned to YouTube instead and found this very helpful tutorial and it all became clear. I started doing the tailor tacks, very happy with myself, until 2nd piece in, I realised that I hadn't ironed the pattern properly flat and it was folded under so my fabric was the wrong shape - aah! So I have now cut out another piece (luckily I had spare) and I've now done all the tailor tacks. I've just made myself a pot of peppermint tea and am going to cut out the interfacing then stop at that. The sewing it together will start tomorrow!

I'm assuming I should use tailor tacks on the interfacing as well?  Is that right?  

the bit without fabric behind it was folded under when I cut - oops!

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about tailor's tacks in the interfacing, you can just mark them on lightly with pencil (when using opaque fabrics anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That will save me some time. Not sure if it's just because I'm a complete beginner but the tailors tacks took me ages, and used up loads of thread.

    ReplyDelete