Friday 15 July 2011

First foray into craft workshops...

.. was a huge success!  Last Tuesday night I visited the We Make Summer boutique pop up shop for a workshop with Fabric Nation

Making fabric flower brooches.  I wish I'd wrote this up earlier whilst the pop-up shop was still open as it was such a lovely shop!

The workshop with Gillian of Fabric Nation was so much fun - the time just whizzed by and by the end of the night me and the other two girls, Nana and Kate (I think that's right but apologies if either of you are reading this and I got your name wrong - my memory sucks!), had each learned lots of new techniques and tricks for making lovely brooches.  Even better they could be used for hair clips or hair bands as well as brooches!  Gillian was lovely - so helpful and talented, and willing to share her sewing tips with us.  The brooches were really simple to make once you knew how - so clever!  I made the lilac and yellow brooch, the yellow and red hair pin, and the pink tweed brooch.  I've been wearing the brooch lots and the hair pin.  The pink tweed brooch strikes me as a bit more autumnal so I'm going to save it for a while!


Gillian is also involved in Handmade in Tooting, which organise lots of fun sounding workshops in both South and North London.  I think next pay day I'll book myself on something else.

And as if the thought of learning a new craft and a night of crafty fun wasn't enough to entice you, Gillian also made the best lemon drizzle cake - yum!

Sorry for the terrible photographs - I really do need to do something about my photography skills, or lack of.  The brooch actually looks better on the yellow cardigan in real life than it does in the photo below - it's much brighter in reality. And excuse the terribly cheesy photo but I just wanted to show how proud I am of the first brooch I made!

So guess what everyone's getting for Birthday/Christmas gifts then?!

No comments:

Post a Comment