Saturday 16 July 2011

My next sewing challenge project!



I so enjoyed New Vintage Lady's Make and Mend Challenge that I'm all ready to sign up for another - the Plain Pattern Project.  The idea is to make the most plain, basic pattern, 3 times and 1 of the 3 should be as close to the original as possible.  Sounds perfect for a beginner like me! My only problem, how to choose which pattern?! I'm stuck between these two but I think that the McCall pattern looks more basic. Has anyone else made these up? What do you think? Am I right in thinking the McCall is the most basic?  I picked the McCall because of Tilly's gorgeous version of it here.  The Lisette Simplicity was picked because Casey inspired me with her Blueberry Fields.  Both Tilly and Casey's blogs have been great inspiration to me and I just love reading about their latest projects, and inspirations - thank you both!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathryn
    I haven't made the Simplicity/Lisette one but it looks a bit more complicated than the McCalls one - a separate skirt piece, plus those folds at the waist. The McCalls one is very simple and there's less scope for things going wrong with the fitting!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tilly,
    Thanks for your advice! I'm still totally undecided as another friend said two pieces is easier when it comes to fitting as it's easier to adjust separate skirt and bodice. I think the McCall one has more scope for winter dresses though as has sleeve options (not for my 1st attempt though I don't think!). Maybe I should try one of each then compare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, this looks great! I think I might sign up! Now to choose a pattern!
    I also think the McCalls is probably a better option - you can sort out any fitting issues with your first one, and then go to town on embellishments etc for the other two? Also, you can make it up in a nice wool for winter, as well as a cotton for summer/early autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thinking exactly - would definitely add some pockets, maybe some piping (of course I've yet to add pockets or put piping on anything yet but this could be the project to start with!). Maybe I'll need to check out that fabric shop you posted about yesterday - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete