The first thing I did was change the hem from a full-on scalloped hem to a lovely straight hem. I then laid it over the back off a chair and couldn't stop looking at it - that's how pleased I was with my handy-work. I was very good the first few nights sewing and listened to music - I'm totally addicted to Alela Diane's new album at the moment, especially after seeing her live last month. However last night Oliver was out which gave me a rare chance to watch some Five USA AKA Jerry Bruckheimer's TV Channel - yes I watched an episode of Numbers then 2 hours of CSI, I'm not ashamed of that, ok maybe just a little bit ashamed, but it's an addiction I can't seem to shake!
You can see all the before photos - the hem, the broken shirring, the ribbon straps - on my Flickr and in the great Flickr group set up for Make&Mend 2011. It took me one night to do the hem, another night to do the straps and last night to do the shirring. I imagine all these things will get quicker as I learn more, I mean at the moment I still have to check my sewing machine manual every time I have to fill up the bobbin or change the stitch length!
|The dress - BEFORE|
You can see in the before photo how shapeless it was with all the broken elastic on the shirring, and I was just a bit bored by the scalloped hem and the straps as I've had this dress for years. So all the time was worth it as I now feel I have a new dress and all it cost me was the price of some white thread and elastic thread. I think I can safely say I am now officially hooked on sewing!
|The Dress - AFTER!|